Want 6-Pack Abs? The Best Flat Abs Moves for Men
Striving for that 6-pack as you look to keep your 2014 New Years Resolutions? WebMD describes these exercises you can do to train for flat abs. The key is to use four to eight moves in each workout while targeting the upper and lower abs, the oblique muscles along your sides, and the back.
- Bicycle – Lie on your back and “petal” in the air. Raise one shoulder as if trying to touch the opposite knee. Repeat on the opposite side for two sets of 12 reps.
- Classic Crunch – Lie on your back, knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Put your hands behind your head, elbows facing out. With your low back on the floor, use your ab muscles to lift your upper body as far as you can. Hold the pose and return to the floor slowly. Do 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
- Reverse Crunch – Keep your arms at your sides, palms down. Use the abs to lift the legs, bringing knees directly over the hips. Contract the abs further and raise your hips and lower back off the mat, knees toward your face. Hold briefly before lowering back to the mat. Don’t let your feet touch the floor. Do 3 set of 10-12 reps.
- Wood Chop – Grab a dumbbell, medicine ball or cable weight system. Kneel on one knee with the other foot forward. Use both hands to lift the weight up over your shoulder, on the foot-forward side. Don’t turn your torso. Slowly lower the weight to the opposite hip. Head, hips and torso should face forward at all times. Do 8-12 reps before switching sides.
- Trunk Rotations – Choose a medicine ball or dumbbell. In a sitting position, lean back slightly and engage the abs with your knees bent and heels touching the floor. Hold the weight close to your body and slowly twist your torso to one side. Pause briefly before rotating to the opposite side. Contract the abs deeply as you twist. Do 3 sets of 12 reps.