Having good posture not only makes you feel better, but it can make you look thinner. Working at a computer creates the inevitable battle to slouch at every opportunity you get. The exercise demonstrated below from Equinox trainer Lauren is the perfect way to combat bad posture. It strengthens the upper back muscles and tones the back of the shoulder.
- Grab an exercise band. You can alternate the amount of slack you have in the band to modify the difficulty of the exercise. A tighter band will offer more resistance while more slack will be easier.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart with your knees slightly bent. Using straight arms. hold the exercise band in from of you with your hands slightly lower than your shoulders. Keep your elbows slightly bent.
- On an exhale, pull your abs to your spine to stabilize your torso as you open you are out to the sides. Focus on bringing your shoulder blades together. Inhale as you return your arms to their starting position.
- Focus on keeping your spine stable and avoid arching your spine and pushing your ribcage forward when opening your arms to the sides. Imagine yourself growing taller as you open your arms.
- Do three sets of 12-15 reps.
Source: POPSUGAR Fitness http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Posture-Exercise-Upper-Back-22692815